5.2.07

Are.We.Not.Men?


It seems I slept big time on Devo's Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!. It's been a while since I've encountered an album with such raucous energy as this - slicing post-punk rhythm guitars, squealing synths, bizarre, often campy lyrics, and that indefinite pounding bass drum. I mean, did your hear those drums? Too bad for the average Joe that Devo = "Whip It" because they are clearly so much beyond those red hats and black whips. It is argued that this album was responsible for the explosion of new wave in the early 80's, but c'mon, this is post-punk, and this album kills it, kills it, kills it.

Studio:
Devo - Mongoloid
Devo - Sloppy (I Saw My Baby Gettin')

Alive:


- For a more, well, experimental take on Devo check this.

- Sydney's best, Cut Copy, have a new track up on their myspace page that is completely rad. Seriously, I hardly ever say rad. This is rad. "Hearts On Fire" is a seriously rad song. LISTEN! According to the site we all love to hate, but actually love DFA's Tim Goldsworthy is producing their follow-up to Bright Like Neon Love and the 12'' of "Hearts on Fire" (with bonus Joakim remix) drops in March.

No comments: